The What’s Cooking Blog has moved: Please visit us at our new location: whatscookingblog.com
Easy and Delicious
Peanut Free Lunch and Snack Ideas for School
Don’t despair! There are lots of peanut-free, tasty and easy lunch and snack choices for your child! Please be sure to check labels carefully since many products may be processed on peanut contaminated lines. Thanks for helping ensure our children have a safe environment at school.
* For more ideas, check this out: Nutritious Lunches with a Sample Peanut-Free Menu
· Yogurt mixed with fruit or with fruit on the side for dipping
· Hard boiled egg
· Homemade trail mix with cereal, pretzels, raisins
· Celery sticks stuffed with soft cheese
· Whole grain muffin (make a large batch ahead of time and freeze, so you can pull them out as you need them)
· Carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes (or any crunchy veggies) with ranch dressing or a favorite dip
· Mini-pitas stuffed with cheese
· Half a bagel with cheese
· String cheese and bread sticks
· Cheese and crackers
· Fresh fruit, fruit salad, mixed dried fruit
· Whole grain cereal
· Sliced meat wrapped around cheese sticks
· Cubes of smoked tofu (some manufacturing plants may have peanut contamination)
· Graham or animal crackers
· Egg salad on their favorite bread, tortilla, or crackers bagel sandwiches with meat, cheese, tofu
· Soy nut butter is a great peanut butter replacement
· Tuna salad (with or without pasta added in or as a sandwich)
· Cheese sandwich, use pita, whole grain bread, bagel, or crackers
· Pita wrap with meat and/or cheese, lettuce and tomato
· Leftover meatloaf or chicken on whole grain bread
· Leftover pasta or macaroni & cheese
· Deli meat and cheese roll-ups
· Cottage Cheese with fresh fruit or veggie slices (loads of protein!)
· Hearty soup in a thermos (stew or chili are good too)
· Give them separate containers of ingredients so they can assemble their own foods, such as mini pizzas or burritos.
· Spread cream cheese, shredded carrots, sliced meat or tofu on a tortilla, roll up and slice into 1-inch pinwheels.
· pinwheels with cream cheese and jam, or with soy nut butter and jam
· Pasta Salad with meat or cheese
· Rice Salad or Couscous with mixed in chopped veggies, meat, cheese or tofu.
Combining a number of fun and healthy lunch and snack ideas makes your child’s school lunch and snack more enjoyable for them… the more fun their food the more likely they’ll eat it!
Interesting fact: One slice of cheese pizza has almost twice the protein of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter!
For more information about making Healthy School Lunches for Children, visit the
Healthy School Lunches page of the What’s Cooking Website. (http://www.whatscooking.info/pages/HealthySchoolLunches.php)